This poet bares all

A visiting poet stood barefoot before an audience at Living and Learning March 14 to share her own original pieces and promote her new book. Clementine Von Radics, of Portland, Ore., was joined by local poets, consisting of both students and  residents.  The event was hosted by sophomore Maxx Vick, who introduced the various acts throughout the show. “It’s cool to see that kind of thing from a community of writers and poets, everyone being really supportive and having different [things] to share,” he said.  Von Radics has recently been visiting various cities across the country promoting her new book, “Home.” The night opened with performances from local artists.  They combined their   spoken words with other mediums, such as guitar and synthesizer.  “I was very impressed by the talent displayed, and the variety kept it interesting,” sophomore Claire Spies said.  One act that Spies said she particularly enjoyed was a performer who integrated the ‘Twilight Zone’ theme song into their poem. Resident Claude Mumbere also performed his own original works as well as the poem “A Dream Deferred” by Langston Hughes.  Senior Alex Griffin then presented a number of poems that he wrote while visiting New York City. “I was very excited that there was this huge array of styles and voices that showed up to be involved, and everyone got a positive reaction,” Vick said.  Von Radics then followed, barefoot and equipped with only a copy of her book “Home.”  She confessed to the crowd that she had misplaced her set list in Boston and would thus be performing an impromptu set of her favorite pieces.  “She addressed the audience humbly,” Spies said.  “There was no pretention or sense of superiority,” she said. “She was just very honest and sincere, which made it so much easier to connect with her and her work.” Von Radics performed poems that spanned an array of topics from her love of Portland to her struggle with maintaining a long-distance relationship.  “There was a great mix of light-hearted, as well as intensely personal poems,” first-year Sarah Proulx said.  At the end of the show, Von Radics sold copies of her new book and spoke with fans of her work.  “Clementine is a poet who does her best to get intimate and close with her audience,” Vick said. “I was really happy to have her here all the way from Portland. It was a great time for everyone who came,” he said.