This Week in Arts

?

This Week in Arts highlights upcoming events at UVM and in the Burlington community. Sarah Sickle provides her recommendations for local concerts.

Friday Oct. 12

Last October at On the Rise Bakery

Richmond, 8 p.m.

With their stripped-down sound comprised of just two voices and an acoustic guitar, Vermont-based duo Last October has a surprisingly big sound. Their writing style is comfortable and warm while simultaneously innovative. This is a great act to keep an eye on. 

Saturday Oct. 13

Primus

Memorial Auditorium, 7 p.m., $42.75

Joshua Panda and the Hot Damned

Red Square, 8 p.m., 21+

Josh Panda is largely hailed as the next big thing out of Vermont. Originally from North Carolina, Panda lets his southern roots shine with a gospel style voice that is complimented by his original country songs and ballads, which often feature more gritty material than you might expect from a contemporary ballad. 

Josh Panda is creative and willing to take risks. With high energy, obvious musical talent and witty stage banter, Joshua Panda and the Hot Damned will rock your world. 

Sunday Oct. 14

Deer Tick

Higher Ground Ballroom, 7:30 p.m., $15

Trio Gusto

Radio Bean, 5 p.m.

The members of Trio Gusto are some of Burlington’s gypsy jazz and swing specialists. If you’re looking to take someone out to dinner or drinks, want to do a little swing dancing or just  hang out with some coffee and maybe start that paper you should’ve started days ago, it doesn’t get much better than Trio Gusto this Sunday night. 

Monday Oct. 15

Seth Yacovone Acoustic Blues

Moog’s Place in Morrisville, 8 p.m.

Seth Yacovone is a Vermont legend. A local, Yacovone started blowing audiences away when he was just a teenager. Catching him with a band is always a special treat, but these days he mainly does a solo acoustic blues set at Nectar’s or Moog’s in Morrisville

If you happen to be in Morrisville or feel like taking a drive, Yacovone is definitely worth checking out. 

Tuesday Oct. 16

Morrissey

Flynn Theatre, 7:15 p.m., $57/$47 

DJ Craig Mitchell

Red Square, 10 p.m., 21+

Craig Mitchell is one of the only DJs I will ever consistently recommend. Just do it. 

Wednesday Oct. 17

Roland Batten Memorial Lecture: Architecture and Design

Williams Hall Room 301, Free

Open Mic Night with Andy Lugo

Manhattan Pizza, 10 p.m.

With very few exceptions, open mic nights in Burlington are painful. Manhattan Pizza has one of the really good ones, hosted by long-time local singer/songwriter Andy Lugo of Jenke Records. 

The vast majority of acts are excellent. Frequent performers include Canadian Lesbian Twins, Ben Donovan and Andy Lugo himself. 

Every once in a while you get an unintentionally comedic act, but it’s all part of the adventure. This is a great place to go with a group and have some cheap food and loud conversation. 

Thursday Oct. 18

Kat Wright and the Indomitable Soul Band

Radio Bean, 11 p.m., $3

Whether it’s your first time hearing Kat or you’re a Radio Bean regular, this band never ceases to impress. This is a band you don’t want to see just once.