Turning the squeaky, musty tables with Burlington Records

Tucked away on the corner of Bank and Church is a collective hub for music lovers, artists, thrift-store browsers and everyone in between. Burlington Records opened on the first of April, but don’t be fooled, there is enough music memorabilia to get your fill.”We had a number of serendipitous events that led us to open this store,” manager of Burlington Records Patrick Quinby said.  “Jacob Grossi is the owner and the real driving force behind this.”An assortment of vinyl records mounted on walls, music stocked in shelves and bins and spinning turntables bump beats throughout the downtown bungalow.A clothing and accessory thrift store, known as the Getup, sits above Burlington Records, forming a hot spot for trading, selling and buying the old and the new.”People are surprisingly happy and so thankful that there is a store to fill the niche,” Quinby said.  “We don’t think of ourselves as a store that is selling things to people, but more of a hub for people who are interested in jazz and classical and hip-hop.”Burlington Records and the Getup both have sister stores in Montpelier. When the Bank Street space — formerly occupied by the Grannis Gallery — opened downtown, the two businesses decided to move to the city together, Quinby said.”The store has a really good feel to it,” UVM senior Sophia Malarkey said. “It isn’t pretentious like other record stores.”Music stores can make the amateur DJ or musician feel overwhelmed among the thousands of vinyls, but Burlington Records has its arms wide open to the general public.”When we hear that you wish you could play a record, you can actually come down and buy a used hi-fi system,” Quinby said. “We are starting to sell more equipment.”To some established record owners, the feel of used record stores can be too much stimuli to handle.”I don’t really like browsing through record stores,” record collector and UVM junior Willy Lamb-Orgel said. “It’s nothing against the stores, it’s just that there is too much going on in one place.”Sure enough, Burlington Records is a busy place. Besides having more than 5,000 records for sale, Quinby said, there is also a small selection of tapes and CDs along with an abundance of authentic concert posters.”The posters just come down to rarity and the real deal,” Quinby said. “Authentic, not a reprint, but from actual telephone poles and concerts.””It seems as though vinyls are making a comeback,” UVM senior Matt Ronan said. “In terms of owning actual music, records and tapes are the best way to go — you actually physically get to play what’s burned onto the record.”With the growing popularity of vinyls and the hot collector’s items at Burlington Records, people may be concerned with the pricing of the music.”Somebody came in and said ‘I hope you guys aren’t gonna price me out of collecting.’ And that’s our plan, to not price people out,” Quinby said. “We aren’t going to charge the collector price. We have stuff in every price range.”Business has been circulating into the record store quite nicely, Quinby said. “Musicians, people who want to hang out there, buying and selling things,” Quinby said.”We are part of the community.”