Burlington hidden gems

Anna Kolosky and Alek Fleury

Burlington is home to so many great destinations that sometimes great places get lost in the mix. As incoming first-years who don’t know Burlington very well, you will soon learn you are going to find your niche places as time goes on. 

However, as you start out in this awkward piece of time it can be difficult to get off campus and explore past the big places everyone knows about. Here are some lesser known places to get you started.

Pure Pop Records

If you’re looking for a great place to get the best music finds, you have to check out Pure Pop Records. Located on South Winooski Avenue, Pure Pop is in a basement next to My Little Cupcake. Its large purple and yellow sign will show you the way down the stone steps which lead into a surprisingly big store full of music, movies and much more. Pure Pop is Burlington’s oldest record store, turning 40 next year.

North End Studios

North End Studios is the perfect place for fun ways to exercise. Situated on North Winooski Avenue, North End Studios has a variety of classes for those looking for ways to stay active. North End Studios offers a wide array of weekly dance classes including aerial dance, African dance, pole dance and swing dance. North End Studios also hosts a number of concerts, workshops and events throughout the year if you want entertainment and a sense of community. 

Overlook park 

Overlook Park, located 10 miles south of campus, offers the best view of Lake Champlain and the Adirondack Mountains in all of Burlington. If the sky is blue and you stumble across the park just before sunset, the bright colors will take your breath away. It is located along a pretty busy road making it difficult to walk there. However, if you have access to a car or are willing to Uber, the drive is absolutely worth it. 

Ahli Baba’s

Ahli Baba’s is a great spot for kebabs, gyros, falafel and late night shenanigans. Located a few doors east of Kountry Kart Deli, it’s a satisfying spot for quick eats. Open from 9 a.m. to 3 a.m. every day, Ahli Baba’s offers an ideal meal for those late nights when most places are closed. Everything is reasonably priced, ranging from $9 to $8. Their wide selection of wraps, stuffed with hummus and tahina, wrapped in a hot Greek pita, are likely to satisfy any hungry customer.