Burlington eateries swap kitchens

Last Tuesday, Magnolia, Vermont’s first Certified Green Restaurant by the Green Restaurant Association, closed down unexpectedly. Magnolia is only one is a line of many Burlington restaurants closing their doors. The closure was so sudden, many people around Burlington have yet to realize the brunch spot has closed its doors. “I thought they had just closed temporarily, for a strike or something,” said Molly Murnane, a UVM senior who frequented the breakfast spot on weekends with her friends. “I don’t understand why they would have closed — everyone loved their food.” For the past week, there have been rumors flying around Burlington, as to why the popular eatery closed down. They range from a temporary strike, to a rift between the owners to a problem with their payroll. No one close to the restaurant could be reached for comment, so as of now it is still uncertain what actually made them close down and if they are closed for good. “I really liked their message,” Murnane said. “Their dedication to organic food and being green was really cool. I hope whoever takes their place does the same.” There’s no doubt that the current economy has made it difficult for restaurants to stay afloat. Rising costs of food products and the higher rates for Burlington utilities, have contributed to harder times for the restaurant industry, said Holly Cluse, the owner of Penny Cluse Café. Sadie Katz Delicatessen also closed its doors on Sunday, Sept. 3 due to economic struggle. The owner was forced to close down the deli due to a loss of lease on his other Burlington business, Three Needs bar, according to the Burlington Free Press. The bar will most likely move to another space in Burlington: the former Parima Thai restaurant. Parima is yet another Burlington eatery that is closing its doors, according to the Burlington Free Press. The Bluebird Tavern, like Three Needs, is taking advantage of the changing restaurant scene in Burlington. The Tavern is moving to the former Green Room, which closed in early August, located on St. Paul Street, according to the Burlington Free Press. The Bluebird was formerly located on Riverside Avenue in Burlington, but the owner is looking to break in to the downtown Burlington market according to the Burlington Free Press.