Gardasil shot now guarding men

The human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine, Gardasil, is now available to men ages nine through 26. 

HPV is the most common sexually transmitted disease. Certain strains of HPV are responsible for the most common causes of cervical cancer in women, according to the Center for Disease Control (CDC). Other HPV strains are responsible for genital warts in both women and men.

While Gardasil has long been available only to women, it is now available to men too. This is great news for men because it not only prevents the spread of a virus that can potentially be lethal for women, but it also wards off genital warts – which, no matter the gender, nobody wants.

A few caveats about the vaccine should be mentioned. For one, it is important to know that the HPV vaccine does not treat genital warts or cancerous changes of the cervix. Rather, it is to be used to prevent the contraction of HPV. Furthermore, the HPV vaccine comes in three installments, administered at the first office visit, three months afterward, and finally once more six months following your first visit.

While the HPV vaccine, Gardasil, will not protect you from all STDs, it can protect you from the most common STD. So, ask your doctor about the vaccine and visit the CDC website to get more information.   

class=”p1″> Kevin Pelletier, a second year medical student at UVM’s College of Medicine and a regular at the gym, intends to share what he has learned about health and fitness. His background includes a Bachelor of Science degree in Physiology from McGill University.