In Which I Discover That Nebraska is Cool

Your humble Arts & Entertainment Editor heard that there would be a CYNIC TRAVEL ISSUE, and immediately made travel arrangements. Yes, folks, I ventured to Omaha, Nebraska, the home of the Cornhuskers and really good steaks. Could I write about Cornhuskers and really good steaks for the Arts & Entertainment section? No. I found that once again I had not thoroughly thought out my plans. So there I was, cold, lonely, and full of steak, in the vast western lands known as Nebraska.

Suddenly God threw me a bone. While usually the guy smites me like my name was Job, suddenly he saw fit to whisper in my ear the divine truth that would be my salvation; and the truth was EMO. Bright Eyes performed at the Rose Theater on December 27th.

The concert was fabulous, and the lead singer, Conner Oberst, was hot. Both of these facts (yes, facts) were shocking to me, your humble Arts & Entertainment Editor, as I have never been much into crybaby music and the men who sing it. The crowd in attendance, however, was what most surprised me. They were actually cooler than me. I was the hip New York City cousin, and yet these Middle American squares (generally thought to be the types who might order a blouse from the Sears catalog) managed to surpass me, a girl known for her quick wit and keen fashion sense.

While I looked quite fetching in my red Club Monaco sweater and fancy jeans (I don’t remember the exact brand, but let’s just say they cost me a pretty penny), paired with those pointy shoes so fashionable right now, complemented by my trim figure and healthfully shiny hair; these kids were just plain looking sharp. They wore leg warmers, neon-colored tights, Mary Janes, and ironic t-shirts. They explained to me that Omaha is where all the cool indie rock bands are born these days. I generally think that I am aware of whatever is cool, but I guess you learn something new every day.

The moral of this story is that Omaha steaks are delicious. And don’t judge a book by its cover. Or maybe it’s DO judge a book by its cover. I don’t know, I’m tired.