New year sparks changes

For many people, resolutions are a fresh start — a way to change something that they were not happy with the year before. It may seem like everyone around you is talking about their resolution, but only about 40 to 45 percent of Americans make resolutions each year, according to a study at the University of Scranton. While making a resolution may seem like a good idea on Dec. 31, some may wake up Jan. 1 wondering if they can actually commit to doing what they resolved to do. According to the same research done at the University of Scranton, after the first week of making a resolution, 75 percent of people are still following theirs. This may seem like a large amount, but if one in four people only keep their resolution after a week, why make one, some may ask? After one month, 64 percent of people are still following their resolutions, and after six months, only 46 percent have kept their resolution. While it may seem like making resolutions isn’t that effective, resolutions give people a goal, something to strive for, according to the University of Scranton. Among the most popular resolutions for 2011 are the following: lose weight, be happy, save money, fall in love, read more and quit smoking, according to hubpages.com At the University of Vermont, students did not make the “typical” resolutions for 2011. While many people vow to go to the gym more, spend more time with friends and family and to quit bad habits, students, for the most part, had something different to say. Ten UVM students’ resolutions… 1) “To read the newspaper at least four times a week.”    — Isaac Geltzer, junior 2) “To be more active and eat healthier.”    — Marley Donaldson, junior 3) “Not to make a resolution so that I can’t break it.”    — Paige Gallivan, senior 4) “To read more books not for school.”    — Jeff Ulsh, junior 5) “To go to the gym at least twice a week.”    — Sam Golden, first year 6) “To get at least 8 hours of sleep each night.”    — Samantha Burns, junior   7) “To be more like Tom Brady.”    — Sam Wells, senior 8) “To actually do things I say I will and have been wanting to do.”    — Hannah Tannebring, junior 9) “To not change a thing, and to improve those around me.”    — Evan Perry, junior 10) “To be more spontaneous.”    — Alyssa Bucci, junior