Rustic Roots welcomes all with comforts of brunch

Sophie Avantaggio, Staff Writer

I constantly find myself bored by the restaurant choices in Burlington, so I asked my dad, a food connoisseur, to help me find somewhere new.

I think I may have found a new gem: Rustic Roots.  

Located on the village green in Shelburne, Vermont, a mere 20 minutes from Burlington, Rustic Roots looks like a house at first glance.

People often drink mimosas while waiting for their table on the restaurant’s wrap-around porch. Patrick Langlois

“It’s an inclusive and welcoming breakfast experience in a hamlet away from Burlington,” junior Julia Markowitz said.

The walls are decorated with a rotating display of local art, including prints of fresh produce and animal skulls.

A pumpkin carved by co-owner Ashley Campbell that references the popular TV show “Stranger Things” perches on the counter, illuminated with a candle.

“We’re all about creating a unique and inviting experience,” Campbell said.

The food options range from sweet breakfast choices like the baked apple caramel pancake to savory choices like the eggs benedict.

The eggs benedict served over house-made bread is doused in the best hollandaise sauce I have ever tasted.

Rustic Roots also serves lunch. Dinner is served only on Friday and Saturday nights.

Everything in the restaurant is made from scratch by Chef Mike Orfan.

I tried Rustic Roots’ famous meal, the “Rustic Breakfast.” It’s made up of two eggs your way, Orfan’s famous fennel bacon, coffee maple sausage and a house-made popover lathered in herb butter.

Campbell told me “we serve up a killer Bloody Mary,” so I had to try it. The drink came with a tater tot, pickle, bacon, brie cheese and cherry tomato on a skewer.

The second time I visited, families gathered for a Halloween parade in costumes to watch as firetrucks, sponsored floats and community members moved down the main street. The patrons watched through the windows of the restaurant with intrigue.

“It felt like it was from the movie ‘Halloweentown’ because of all the kids running around with their family and the spooky atmosphere,” junior Madison Hajjar said.

The community event painted an image of what the restaurant represents.

I asked our waitress, Francesca Blanchard, what she felt the restaurant was really about, and she told me to look around.

I saw families eating in costume, old friends getting together while I was surrounded by close friends.

If you are looking for a community experience and a place to gather with friends and enjoy food then Rustic Roots offers all of these amenities.