Stories told through snaps

5, 4, 3, 2, 1 gone!

This “here one second, gone the next” concept is the basic idea behind Snapchat, an app that allows users to send photos to friends that will only appear on screen for a maximum of 10 seconds.

“Snapchat offers a great chance to bring your buddies into what you’re doing,” junior Paolo Filho said.

The app had a rise in popularity over the past couple years, and is now the third most popular social media app among millennials, according to a report from comScore.

comScore defines the millennial demographic as people between the ages of 18 and 34, according to an article from techcrunch.com.

“I’ll go on there a solid 20 to 50 times a day and look at people’s stories,” first-year Colin Powers said.

Snapchat has a noticeable presence at UVM, including a university account that was created recently. However, the account has disappeared from snapchat.

The student-run account used the app’s “story” feature to put the lifestyles of the UVM community on display.

Junior Teresa Dotson said the account showed thousands of seconds of “alcohol, skiing and pot.”

“The university Snapchat made me feel more connected to everyone here and to this school. Some of the snaps were funny,” sophomore Kaeli Mace said.

First-year Cam Field said he’s “never seen a darker day” for Snapchat.

“The UVM Snapchat was fun because you could see people you didn’t know all over campus and what they were doing,” Dotson said.

“You can still do that with regular Snapchat, the hype is just kind of gone,” she said.

In regards to whether or not the app will remain popular, Dotson said that she definitely thinks it will.