Tinder sets fire

A popular dating application from tech incubator Hatch Labs aims to limit rejection while helping singles break the ice. Tinder, which has been trending across UVM for months now, uses information from a users Facebook profile and intelligently figures out when two people are interested in each other and helps them connect, according to the Hatch Labs website. Users set their location, and then Tinder pulls up profiles of people nearby allowing the user to anonymously like by pressing a green heart or pass on the individual by pressing a red X. If two people like each other they become a match and can begin to chat with each other within the application, according to the Tinder website.Co-founded by Sean Rad, Justin Mateen, Jonathan Badeen and Christopher Gulczynski, the dating app is downloaded more than 20,000 times a day and has made over 20 million matches, according to The New York Times. It helps you get to know the people around you, but limits conversations until youre actually interested, said co-founder Sean Rad in a New York Times blog. It solves the problem of helping you get acquainted with new people you want to know.About 70 percent of matched users begin communicating through the app, though Tinder stops tracking users after they are paired making it hard to determine how many actually meet, according to the blog.Tinder currently has more than 540,000 monthly users and 200,000 daily users, according to AppData.comOne of those users is senior Amanda Donohue and shes figured out a formula.So, I look at age first and anyone under 21 gets the boot, Donahue said. Then I look at the name and anyone with a weird or fake name gets the X. Then I look through their pictures, common friends, common interests and decide if I like them or not.Despite the formula, Donohue views Tinder as a form of entertainment rather than a place to meet anyone serious.Its a great way to pass the time, she said. [Tinder is] the best way to judge and be judged on looks alone.Part-time student Skyler Davis also agrees that Tinders appeal is based on its entertainment value.It is fun to do when Im bored. Looking through hot girls is always fun. I dont think I could ever use it in serious fashion though, Davis said.And what about when a user runs into the real people behind the profiles they were just rating?Well it definitely makes for some awkward interactions when you see a girl on the streets or at a party that you were matched up with but never met in your life… he said.