Tiny canvas, vast expression

Trevor Hall wears his necklaces. So do Mac Miller, Tayyib Ali and the occasional UVM undergraduate.Junior Charlie Hudson is the driving force behind Charlie Like the River, a line of necklaces featuring a small wooden square with a hand-painted print. Described as a micro canvas by lifestyle blog NDGmag, Hudsons designs have been worn on the necks of fellow students and artists alike since he began designing in the fall of 2010.While Hudson has now amassed a fan following through social media nearly 1,500 people have liked his brands Facebook page he said he is not in it for the fame and fortune. He just likes making wearable art.I really wanted to print my own graphics, Hudson said. I needed an outlet for printing on canvas, and I didnt want to do T-shirts.What began as a search for mens jewelry resulted in Hudson going the do-it-yourself route and making a necklace. After Michaels shopping spree, he said he sat down and painted his design in the style of photorealist painter Chuck Close.There was no order to it, he said. It was all print-based, and every few days I would just create more designs until I started taking liberties with pictures and developing a whole range of things.He said he handed out his wares to friends for free at first, but over time Charlie Like the River caught the attention of students across campus. His official line was launched in the spring of 2011.The New Jersey native said choosing the name of his company was inspired by a childhood memory.I could just remember my mom always being on the phone and having to say, Sally Hudson … like the river, he said.Since then, he has thrown necklaces off the stage at SpringFest and they have landed in the hands of those in the spotlight. If theres a key to Charlie Like the Rivers success, it is exposure, said Hudsons friend Colin Lyon, a junior.He works hard to get the necklaces on people who look good wearing them, such as other artists and musicians or pretty ladies, Lyon said.Hudson asked rapper Tayyib Ali to promote his designs while on tour in Burlington. Other high-profile fans include Mac Miller and Aer, a reggae-rap-acoustic duo.Wearing a Charlie Like the River necklace is something I do on the daily, said David von Mering, one half of Aer. I loved the hippie/dog tag balance … I can see the look becoming big.Queen City has been ranked among the least fashionable cities in the nation by GQ magazine and online retailer Bows N Ties, so any look based in Burlington may be surprising.But Hudson said that was just a matter of opinion.UVM has its own sense of style, he said, shaking his head. Fashion is subjective and its not what youre wearing but how youre wearing it. Necklaces are good at reflecting this; the image is something people are into expressing.To keep up with orders, only two stores in Burlington carry his line: Wildlife and Catalyst Design, both located on Main Street. While Hudson said he messed around with mass-producing his necklaces, it seemed inauthentic. For now, hes happy to keep things local.Hudson collaborated with hometown friend and fellow artist Connor Brewster for the fall 2012 collection that premiered Sept. 30.Its such a huge part of UVM culture, Hudson said. Its something UVM kids want, but I cant create it on my own.For more information, check out www.charlieliketheriver.com.