Make the Most of the Heat

Molly Parker
Molly’s summer in Burlington illi

Fall semester at UVM officially kicked off a little over two weeks ago, though the weather outside so far does not reflect fall weather at all.

If you are new to UVM, beating the Vermont heat may be a problem you did not expect to encounter.

In Burlington, you get the best of both worlds. The dilemma between beach or mountains exists no more; here you get both. 

A favorite location for much of UVM’s student population is North Beach.

“North Beach makes my heart sing,” said sophomore Walden Jones-Perpich. 

Though a little ways off campus, North Beach is worth the trip for a nice swim with a great mountain view. 

“North Beach has everything: spikeball, the chronic reality of seeing all the people you’ve ever met in one place and creemees,” said sophomore Sarah Andrews. 

North Beach can get pretty packed during the hot summer days, so if you are looking for a quieter beach-going experience, I would recommend checking out Leddy Park or Oakledge Park.

If you make the trip to North Beach, Lone Rock should be next on your list. A trail at the end of North Beach will take you there through a hike with some beautiful vistas. 

Follow the trail to Lone Rock, scale a sketchy cliff, and then swim out to the big rock and jump. Definitely wear water shoes like Chacos since the hike and climb down is tough on the toes.  

“I quite enjoyed the activity. It was pretty splendid despite the treacherous hike up the cliff,” said sophomore Ethan Wolf. “It was sweet.” 

If treacherous cliff faces aren’t your thing, hiking out to Lone Rock is definitely worth the view regardless. 

The trails to Lone Rock also lead to a few different overlooks which face directly west, giving you the opportunity to experience some exquisite views of the sun setting behind the mountains. 

The Bolton Potholes are another nice place to visit during the hot summer months. Located 25 minutes away from campus, a car is a necessity for reaching this lovely location. 

“Bolton Potholes have a beautiful view of the mountains with fun pools to jump into and a hidden water slide,” says sophomore Vivian Molesworth. 

Make sure to bring a towel—and Chacos again—because the rocks are unforgiving. The rocks also retain a lot of heat so it’s a prime spot for sunning yourself like a lizard.

Moral of the story: even if your main attraction to UVM was the vibrant ski culture, Burlington offers just as much entertainment during the warmer months. Soak up the sun while you can: fall is just around the corner.