Student art on display in new Brennan’s Art Space

Lindsey Imhoff, Staff Writer

Amongst the bookshelves, couches and chairs in the Brennan’s Book Nook, paintings by Kristin Richland, a Vermont artist, hang in the bright lighting.

This display is part of the inaugural Brennan’s Art Space, a space intended for student artists to showcase their work for a semester. The space was inaugurated in September 2018.

JP Marton, Davis Center custodian, originally conceived the art space and the Book Nook.

“The whole idea behind the [art space] was that it could become a destination for people to come and see the talent at UVM,” Marton said.

The art space was set up during this past summer. When Marton was first looking for artists, he found Richland through another artist. He immediately loved her art, which he described as whimsical and imaginative.

Although the space is meant for art made be UVM students, Marton asked Richland to display her art in order to provide a presence in the space when students returned in the fall.

“I wanted to display my work in Brennan’s because it was a new venue,” Richland said. My dad graduated from UVM in 1974 and wanted me to go there, so it was also a nod to that.”

The space provides students with the chance to price their work, so passersby have the opportunity to buy it.

“I think the paintings are very fantastical and blend with the creative sense of the Book Nook, and create a sense of warmth and imagination,” sophomore Sara Domas said of Richland’s artwork.

The Brennan’s Art Space is sponsored by UVM Student Life and the Davis Center Art Curating team. Marton wants the curating team to take over curating the space in the future, he said.

“This is the birth of the gallery,” Marton said. “I’m even looking for the faculty at Williams to collaborate.”

Brennan’s Art Space is looking for student artists to display their work for the spring 2019 semester.  

Students interested in exhibiting their art can contact Marton or the Davis Center Art Curators at [email protected] or [email protected]. Submissions are accepted on a rolling basis year-round.