2-3 over break lifts Cats to 2-2 A-East

After defeating the UNH Wildcats last Saturday, the Vermont men’s basketball team improved their overall record to 7-9, and sit fourth in the America East with a regular season record of 2-2. The Cats opened their regular sea?son at Patrick Gym with a win against Binghamton University, 71-60.The opener saw three Vermont players making double figures. Sophomore Marqus Blakely had 21 points, while senior Kyle Cieplicki added 18 and junior Mike Trimboli put in 16 of his own. UVM continued on to Albany where they suffered a familiar defeat, losing 80-79 in over time to the Great Danes. Again, the Cats had three players in the double figures, Blakely dumping in 23 points while Trimboli added 17 and Cieplicki had 11. Brian Lillis of Albany had a game-high 29 points while Brian Connelly added 15.The Cats continued their road trip to take on UMBC, los?ing to the Retrievers 78-60. Blakely was Vermont’s high-scorer, putting up 17 points and seven rebounds. Trimboli followed closely with 12 points and two assists. On Saturday, Jan. 12, UVM took on UNH at home, defeating the Wild?cats in a close 64-61 game. Vermont had four players with double figures, while UNH shot a lousy 9.5 percent from the field in the first half. Trimboli had a game-high 19 points, followed closely by freshman Evan Fjeld who scored a career-high 14. Blakely also added 12 points while ju?nior Colin McIntosh had 10. UVM travels to Maine Wednesday to take on the Black Bears (1-1 America East) and will try to improve their record to 3-2.