$24,000 raised to support LGBTQQ youth

Twelve Lady Gagas attempted to pull a fire truck 20 feet up Church Street on Saturday at Outright Vermont’s 7th annual Fire Truck Pull. Team Gaga was one of ten teams raising money for Outright Vermont, a lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning youth support center, Executive Director of Outright Vermont Melissa Murray said. UVM’s Greek community entered two teams in the pull and raised $1,700. “This is the second year Greek Life has been involved.  It’s one of the many philanthropic events we like to get involved in.  We’ve won two years in a row and raised quite a bit of money,” senior member of Pi Kappa Alpha Ben Trottier said. Together, all ten teams raised $24,000 while competing for a golden fire truck trophy in four categories: most money raised, fastest pull time, audience favorite and best costume. The Greek Life men’s team won a golden fire truck for the fastest pull time of 13.53 seconds, Trottier said. Team Gaga won the trophy for most money raised, raking in over $7,000, team member Kate Vanwagner said. The community team Queer Youth, walked away with audience choice. Murray said that she was pleased with the total amount raised. “Last year we made $17,145, so it’s a huge jump,” she said.