57 Vermonters Board a Bus for Barack

On the eve of Barack Obama’s inauguration as the 44th president of the United States, 57 Vermont residents boarded a red eye express bus straight to Washington, D.C., hoping just to be a part of the historic moment.”It was interesting because the group started out as friends and neighbors and now it is mostly people I don’t even know, which is wonderful,” bus organizer Valerie Wood-Lewis said. “Everyone is so excited and grateful to be able to do it so easily.” The 48-hour bus cost each person just $84 roundtrip. “I put the word out and people were just eager to join in,” she said.Third grade teacher Sharyl Green of Jericho was one of the 57 riders thrilled to be a part of the experience. “I’m very excited about the diverse population that is excited about this election, and that that diverse population is going to be gathering at the mall in Washington. I want to be a part of that,” Green said. “I made sure all of my school children know the importance of this day and they will be watching live tomorrow.”Despite being faced with a grueling bus ride, throngs of people, likely frustration and lots of waiting, Karen Wingate shared why she was deciding to brave it all. “I am going for a reason,” she said. “A reason for life, bringing people together and healing the deep wounds of the last eight years.”