All eyes on you

Coming into the year 2008, the art of eye make-up is in need of a change. However, armed with a few handy suggestions, a New Year’s make-up resolution will not be out of reach.Surprisingly, with only a touch of mascara, eye?shadow can be used mostly by itself. Eyeliner is not even necessary, although it can be a nice complement to the shadow.Eyeliner can also be used simply on its own. An interesting twist on eyeliner application is the pairing of two contrasting colors. The brightest color should be drawn along the upper eyelid, as described in the May 2007 issue of Seventeen Magazine, while the quieter color should be drawn along the bottom lid. This gives a funky twist to eye make-up, and makes the eyes appear larger. It also works with any skin tone.Eyeshadow, on the other hand, is a little more specific to skin coloring. Those with fair skin are complemented by eyeshadows that are shades of deep blue, many pastels, or soft browns. Dark blue is the most striking against fair skin, making the eyes the focus of attention. As long as the rest of the face is limited to lighter, more neutral tones, the more pronounced color of the make-up will be flattering instead of 80’s chic.Shades of green eyeshadow, suggested by Fall 2007 issue of Cosmopolitan, complement an olive skin tone. This color neutralizes the yellow tones that olive skin naturally contains while providing freshness throughout a long day. Yellow or orange tinted shadows should be avoided because these colors make most women with olive skin appear sickly.For those with cappuccino skin, shimmering browns, bronzes, and golds allow the eyes and skin to shine. Even though these colors are not as obvious as a bright purple, they height?en one’s natural beauty, corresponding to the recent fashion push for a more natural look.If one wants a more obvious color, deep greens complement cappuccino skin well, while moving a little beyond the suggested family of browns. Deep purples and vivid hues of blue are better for chocolate skin tones. The silver that flatters a lighter skin tone washes out dark skin, confirms the Fall 2007 issue of Cosmopolitan, where a deep purple adds color and helps the eyes stand out. If one feels like experimentation beyond single color eyes, try using two different shadows, especially a lighter and a darker color that complement each other. Browns and bronzes work particularly well for this, but any colors that flatter one other can be used.The lighter shade should be used to cover the entire eye-lid, spreading up to below the eyebrow, whereas the darker color can be placed in the crease of the lid.This technique is quick and efficient. While it still creates a fabulous nighttime look, preparing for a party is made simple. With every application of eyeshadow, even the experimental ones, remember to blend! Whether one uses a single color or many, the color should melt into the skin at the edges and mingle with other colors. There should be no harsh edges on an eyelid. MAC, a prominent make-up brand, carries a wide selection of easily blendable, colorful eye shadows and eye liners. Assisting women with the necessary blending, these mix well with each other and can be smudged without a struggle. After all, no one wants to fight with their make-up first thing in the morning. Yet with the right tools and a little experimentation, one’s eyes can shine even on the gloomiest of days. Thus, the ever prominent New Year’s resolution really can be reached.