Artists paint their own scenes of Burlington

Impressionism. Contemporary art. Kinetic glass structures. Descriptions of the hip new exhibits in downtown New York City? Think again.While the Burlington arts scene may not have the depth or breadth of a major metropolitan area, the venues on campus and downtown offer an eclectic, welcoming expression of the Queen City of Vermont.Right on campus, hidden amongst the various academic buildings, lies the Fleming Museum, UVM’s own display of world-class art and diverse visual culture, their Web site states.On Sept. 11 and 12, the seventeenth-annual South End Art Hop, sponsored by the South End Arts and Business Association (SEABA), “expresses who we are as a community,” according to the SEABA Web site.A citywide event held in the beginning of the semester, it features open galleries at nearly all of the innumerable Burlington art galleries.But, more importantly, it brings the city of Burlington alive — with tons of free live music, lots of free food and some great art, it always attracts a large crowd.One particular art gallery, Burlington City Arts’ Firehouse Gallery on Church Street, strives to “bring a unique arts experience to the public that will challenge, teach and engage,” according to their Web site.The upcoming semester offers two exhibitions sure to excite any and all inclined toward art or exploration.Showing until Oct. 24, “Human = Landscape” is a collaborative exhibition that explores the future of the Vermont landscape as it grapples with the aesthetic challenges of a carbon-constrained world, according to a Firehouse Gallery press release.Presented as part of the Energy Project, kinetic glass sculptures and a field of 1,000 windmills make the invisible power of wind and alternative energy visible, according to the press release. Opening Oct. 30, “Medicine & Mortality” by Sasanqua Link and Linda E. Jones seeks to “capture the uncanny mixture of fascination and revulsion with the trespass of technology on the human body,” the press release stated.The artists’ meticulously fabricated sculptures combine fantastical medical equipment with highly realistic, ambiguous fragments of body parts, according to the press release.With a multitude of constantly changing exhibits, the art culture of Burlington satisfies aesthetically and provides interesting perspectives to the community.