Baseball splits Stony Brook doubleheader

In a game that had the makings of and ended up becoming a pitchers’ duel between two staff aces, Stony Brook’s Gary Novakowski got the extra run he needed in the seventh inning to pick up a 2-1 win for the Seawolves.Stony Brook went ahead in the top of the third inning on an RBI double from Stephen Marino that plated teammate Chad Rebecca.Rebecca scored the game winning run four innings later, reaching base on an infield hit — after advancing bases on two consecutive outs, Rebecca scored on Chad Marshall’s line drive into short center field.Novakowski, the 2007 America East Pitcher of the Year, yielded the tying run an inning later when UVM senor Kyle Massie drove sophomore Ethan Paquette home with an infield hit that caromed off of Novawkowski’s leg.The Seawolves pitcher threw a complete game, allowing five hits, walking one batter and striking out two, moving to 4-3 on the season. Novakowski shut down UVM after Massie’s single, retiring the last 10 Catmount batters. Vermont junior Joe Serafin – who missed the 2007 season due to injury – suffered just his first conference loss in his last 10 starts, his second loss of the season (4-2).Serafin also went the distance, spreading four hits over seven innings, walking three batters and striking out two.”It was a tight game, a well-pitched game,” UVM head coach Bill Currier said. “[Novakowski] was in and out with his fastball and kept us off of the plate.”Massie had the Cats’ best game at the plate, going 2-3, while freshman Mark Micowski, senior Miguel Magrass and freshman Jason Leclerc each had a hit for UVM.Marino was the only Seawolf with a multi-hit game, going 2-3 with a single and a double.In the second half of the afternoon twinbill, the dogs in the third baseline picnic area were the only ones playing around — the Seawolves, on the other side of the fence, were busy dealing with some hot Catamount bats.With the game tied 1-1 after the top half of the fifth inning, the Catamounts finally got the clutch runs they were missing in their previous two games.Seawolves pitcher Mike Errigo struck out Massie and Brad Currier to start the bottom of the fifth – then the topof the UVM order got to the plate.Four consecutive singles from Micowski, sophomore Justin Milo, Magrass and freshman Matt Duffy led to two runs and a 3-1 lead by the end of the inning. In the sixth, UVM tacked on two more runs to cushion the lead for starting pitcher Keith Rakus. With senior Kyle Henry and junior Jeff Nolet on first and second, Massie hit a deep drive to rightcenter, scoring both runners and giving Massie his second triple of the game. “We had some key hits,” Currier said. “We’re finally hitting with some guys on base — getting guys on base and then hitting with them on base.”Massie led the UVM resurgence at the plate, going 2-3 with three RBIs. He is tied for the team lead in triples (5) and tied for third in RBIs (21). UVM sits at 16-13 (4-3, third place in America East) following the double header. Stony Brook, picked to finish first in the preseason coaches’ poll, moves to 19-14 (7-3, 2nd place) with Saturday’s split.