Body found in Centennial Woods

UVM police were called to UVM’s Centennial Woods on Jan. 18 after a man was found dead at 3:30 p.m., officials said.   “The caller was out walking her dog when she noticed a person lying on the ground wrapped in a blanket,” the Burlington Free Press stated.   After the body had been removed from Centennial Woods, an autopsy was performed, according to the UVM Police website.   “Preliminary investigation has indicated that the probable cause of death is exposure to the cold,” the website stated.   Although there was some speculation that suggested the man may have been homeless, Officer Brandon King of UVM Police confirmed that he was not.   “I cannot disclose any other information about the victim, but there is no suspicion of foul play and no danger to the community,” King said.   King also said that no other deaths have been reported in Centennial Woods in the past eight years that he has worked for UVM Police. It is not uncommon, however, that people set up encampments in the woods.   “UVM police encounter one or two persons living in those woods each year, but have not had any encounters within the past several months,” Director of University Communications Enrique Corredera said to the Burlington Free Press.   Some students said that they were unaware of the incident and did not think it was typical of Burlington.   “I usually think of Burlington as a safe place,” sophomore Kerry Johnson said. “I thought it was a little unnerving.”   UVM Police released the victim was Thomas A. Keenan, aged 57 from Shelburne.