Brattleboro looks to indict Bush and Cheney for crimes

Last year, the southeastern Vermont town of Brattleboro voted to impeach President Bush. This year, local activist Kurt Daims wants to go one step further. Daims and a group of his supporters are attempting to get an item on the ballot for Town Meeting Day that would indict President Bush and Vice President Cheney for crimes against the Constitution, making them subject to arrest if they ever set foot in town, stated the Brattleboro Reformer. Daims is seeking to find 440 citizens to support his initiative in order to get it on the Town Meeting ballot for citizens to consider on March 4. According to the Brattleboro Reformer, the resolution states, “Shall the Selectboard instruct the Town Attorney to draft indictments against President Bush and Vice President Cheney for crimes against our Constitution, and publish said indictment for consideration by other municipalities?” It does not state, after extradition, where the two would be tried for said crimes. Dan DeWalt, the Newfane man who spurred the impeachment vote in Town Meeting last year, expressed his support in the Brattleboro Reformer, stating, “Mr. Daims and others who drafted the Indictment are acting in the same spirit, and with the same moral authority as our founders did in 1776.” Voices of dissent in the town include select board member Steven Steidle, who, according to the “Associated Press”, believes that “[the indictment] is well outside of our ability. From my perspective, the Brattleboro Select board needs to focus on the town and the things that need to be done here.” Even if the measure were to be passed on March 4, there are doubts as to its practicality and even legality. According to Vermont Attorney General William Sorrell, who spoke with the Associated Press, “I have not seen the proposal, and I’ve done no legal research on any of the issues, but at first blush, if this passed, they’d have really uphill sledding trying to have it be legal and enforceable.” The White House did not comment on this issue.