BUDGET BREAKDOWN: A USER’S GUIDE

The University of Vermont is facing deficit of $28 million and needs to reduce the budget for fiscal year 2010 by $15 million. The administration has said that a smaller deficit was already predicited for the University, but that is was made worse by the economic crisis that still presents financial difficulties.Additionally, lawmakers in Montpelier cut appropriations to UVM in December, which further deepened the University’s deficit.To cope with the deficit, the administration gave each vice president and college dean a target for cuts in their unit. The plans for how they will reach those targets should be revealed to the public before March.However, the administration has already put forth some information about measures that will be taken, including the admission of 300 additional students next semester, as well as potential layoffs.While both faculty and students are protesting the cuts, the administation is moving forward with their plans.LayoffsThe administration originally estimated that as many as “hundreds” of employees could be laid-off as a result of budget cuts. In recent days, however, they have released much more conservative estimates, partially in reaction to Vt. Gov. Douglas’ indication that the cut to UVM’s state appropriation may not be as large as initially presented. At the Faculty Senate meeting on Feb. 9, UVM President Daniel Mark Fogel said that he estimated that between 18 and 24 people might be laid-off initially.Vice President of Finance and Administration Richard Cate said that those numbers could change once there is a clearer picture of the state appropriation, probably in April.Class sizesWhile the University will be admitting 300 more students next semester, Cate said that students would likely not see many affects of the cuts.”I have heard of some classes that have been 80 that are going to be 150, but that’s a very limited number of classes of that size on campus to begin with,” Cate said.”There may be significantly larger classes, but on average, our median class has got 19 students in it now, and it looks like it will have 20 or 21 students,” he said.Dorm CrowdingCate said that the presence of 300 additional students should not lead to more crowded dorms.Only about half of those 300 students will be first-year students, according to Cate, so many of them could potentially live off campus. The renovation of McAuley Hall on Trinity Campus, which should be complete by the beginning of the next school year, will provide housing for about 160 students.”What we are doing is talking about adding more room than the increase in on-campus students, so we should be staying neutral,” Cate said.Reactions from student & faculty leaders”Through this whole process, I am continually impressed with President Fogel’s resolve. “We can argue specifics – and many people are – but at the end of the day, President Fogel has outlined where his priorities are and made cuts accordingly. “Clearly there will be some pain associated with this whole process and I don’t mean to make that any less important, but there are a lot of good people doing the best they can to make this all work for us.” Jay TaylorSGA President”The first priority of faculty is the students and we will do everything we can to preserve UVM academic experience for them.”I speak for the Executive Council of the Senate when I say we strongly support Dan Fogel’s presidency and we would not want to see it end for many years to come. “But this kind of upset among the faculty leads to real institutional instability and it cannot be ignored.” Robyn Warhol-DownPresident of the Faculty Senate”When class-sizes increase, as a teacher your pedagogy and evaluation changes. “You can no longer give essays and large written assignments, so the quality of your teaching could decline. “It doesn’t mean that you can’t have big good classes, but if you’re a professor who likes essays, it changes the teaching. The change can be for the better, but many faculty fears that its for the worse.”David ShimanPresident of United Academics, the faculty union at UVMCalendar of EventsNov. 10Administration releases news of projected $20 million budget shortfallDec. 2Administration announces plan for freezing raises for executive staff members and increasing enrollmentDec. 4The Board of Trustees meets and works over budget issues Dec. 17A cut in state appropriations increases projected deficit to $28 millionJan. 23Deans submit budget reduction plans to the President’s OfficeFeb. 6Administration reports on budget progress to the Board of Trustees Feb. 18Budget reduction plans will be sent back to units, deans and vice presidents will meetSoon after Feb. 18Budget reduction plans will be released to the UVM communityFeb. 25 – April 1Refinement of budget reduction plansMay 8Presentation of final budget reduction plans to the Board of Trustees A look at what other schools are facingBROWN”The best estimate we can make at this time is that we need to reduce projected annual expenditures by approximately $60 million.”? No salary increases for essentially all faculty and staff (except for promotions and pre-existing contracts). ? A reduction of $4.5 million in the overall budget for administration. ? A reduction in the planned increase in the size of the faculty. The size of the faculty will not be reduced below its current level.From a statement by Brown President Ruth J. Simmons.JOHNSON STATE”The basics are that we’ve received two rescissions to our funding this year, which combined add up to somewhere around $300,000.Because our president is very conservative with her budgeting, we’ve been able to absorb all of the state rescission by using carried forward funds. We had funds available.We have not made any academic programming cuts or any cuts to faculty or staff. What the future holds, we don’t know.”From Kenneth Schexnayder, dean of institutional advancement at Johnson State College. ARIZONA STATE”Since June 2008, the reduction of state investment in ASU has been $88 million or 18 percent of the University’s base state funding in a single fiscal year.”? Eliminated more than 550 staff positions.? More than 200 faculty associate positions eliminated? Manditory 10-to15 day furloughs for all employees.From a statement by ASU President Michael Crow.DARTMOUTH”[Dartmouth’s] endowment, which accounts for about 35 percent of the operating budget, has declined along with the stock market. Dartmouth needed to accomplish the difficult task of cutting $72 million from their $700 million budget.”? Delaying construction projects? Freeze on external hires and new positions? No new unscheduled increases in salaries and wages? 60 staff employees laid offFrom a statement by Dartmouth President James Wright.