Catamount sports shorts

Former UVM soccer star signs with proNorwegian teamAccording to a report from the UVM athletics Web site last week, 2008 UVM graduate Connor Tobin signed a one-year contract with Nybersgund IL-Trysil, a professional Norwegian soccer team, following a two-week trial period with the team. Tobin, the 2008 America East Defender of the Year, will be joined on the team by fellow American John Lapira, a striker who was named the 2006 National Player of the Year, while at Notre Dame.Swimming has strong showing at championshipsLed by junior Colleen Clark’s standout performance, the women’s swimming team held on to third heading into the final day of competition at the A-East championships in Boston last weekend.Clark set a UVM precedent by winning the third conference championship of her career, setting a new league record in the 200 meter freestyle in the process.The Cats trailed BU and UMBC heading into the final day of the four day competition.The Catamounts perform well at America East championships for indoor track and field hosted by Boston UniversityThe UVM men’s and women’s Indoor Track squads made their mark at the America East Indoor Championships held at Boston University this weekend, with junior Aaron Campbell’s 55 meter victory helping to lead the men’s team to a seventh-place finish. Campbell’s victory was the first individual victory for a Catamount at the Championships since 2002.The women were led by senior Jan Carlson’s second place finishes in the 200 meter and 55 meter, helping the team to place fourth. Carlson was among the list of Catamounts named All-Conference Performers, joining Campbell, juniors Jared Alvord and Aly Millett and freshmen Ase Lundin and Bethany Karter-O’Brien.Albany’s men’s team took first at the meet, while BU was victorious on the women’s side.The teams will return to Boston next weekend for the New England Championships.