Catamounts’ comeback falls short

By ZACH PARKER Senior Staff Writer The Catamounts’ men’s lacrosse team couldn’t manage to stage a full comeback against the Binghamton Bearcats on Saturday afternoon, losing 6-5. Binghamton sophomores Steven Carlson and Chris Welch started the scoring in the contest with unassisted goals in the first quarter.The Bearcats continued to add to their lead in the second quarter, with another unassisted goal, this time from junior Duncan Streeten with 11 minutes left in the quarter.With 4:15 left in the quarter, the Catamounts began to narrow the lead on a goal from junior attack Andrew Kelleher, assisted by junior midfielder Brandon Goodwyn.Binghamton answered a little over a minute later, however, on a goal from sophomore Jeff Rurey which was assisted by Streeten.At the 1:01 mark in the second quarter, Binghamton widened the lead to 5-1 on an unassisted goal by sophomore Andy Cook.In the third quarter, Vermont began to stage their comeback with an unassisted goal from senior Andrew Goldfarb, the first of his career.Following that goal, UVM shrunk the gap to 5-3 on a goal from junior attack Alex Young, assisted by freshman midfielder Kyle Hann.Hann then struck again at the 9:51 mark, assisted by senior midfielder Trevor Wagar.Another Binghamton goal late in the third quarter put the Catamounts down 6-4 entering the fourth, and the score stayed that way until late in the fourth quarter.With 3:55 remaining in the game, freshman standout Derek Lichtfuss fired home a man-up goal, assisted by Young, making the score 6-5. The goal was Lichtfuss’ team-leading 18th of the season.After being outshot 23-4 through the first three quarters, Vermont led Binghamton in shots 10-3 in the fourth, but they couldn’t manage to find the net for the equalizer.The loss to their America East rival dropped the Catamounts to 4-9 overall and 1-2 in the America East. UVM is now ranked fifth out of six America East conference teams.The loss was also the first at home for Vermont since last April, when they were dropped by America East foe Albany.The Cats will look to avenge that Albany loss next week though, as they hit the road for a Saturday afternoonmatchup.Vermont has one game remaining at Moulton Winder Field on the season, against yet another America East rival, UMBC, on Saturday, April 26 at 1 p.m. It will be the last home game for five Catamount seniors, including third-leading scorer Shay Cunningham.