Cat’s can’t stand up to Huskies

The Catamounts may want to think about scheduling as few games as possible against teams nicknamed “Huskies” next season. For the second weekend in a row, UVM was unable to win against an unranked opponent at “The Gut.” Last Saturday the Catamounts tied the Huskies from Northeastern 2-2, and Friday they lost in overtime to the Michigan Tech Huskies, 4-3. In front of a packed Gutterson Fieldhouse, UVM controlled the puck for most of the first period. However, despite five power play opportunities for the Catamounts, they were only able to muster one goal in the period. The goal came with 6:44 left in the first when freshman (and Michigan native) Colin Vock scored during a 5-on-4 power play with assists awarded to sophomore Corey Carlson and senior Chris Myers. Lack of pressure by the Catamounts during their power plays prevented them from improving the score during the first period. “We had trouble getting anything going and generating any offense,” Catamount coach Kevin Sneddon said after the game. “When they made mistakes we just weren’t able to capitalize on them.” Both teams came out of the gates hard to begin the second period and Vermont freshman Brian Roloff added to the Catamount lead 2:20 into the period on assists coming from freshman Patrick Cullity and Myers. Michigan Tech quickly responded less than two minutes later when Husky sophomore Geoff Kinrade threw a wrister past UVM goalie Joe Fallon, making the score 2-1. At 8:29 of the second Vock and Carlson connected once again immediately after a face off, giving Vock his second goal of the game. The celebration was short-lived however, as MTU junior Tyler Shelast scored 30 seconds later on a breakaway. The second period came to a close with the score 3-2 in favor of Vermont. As in the first period, the Catamounts controled the tempo of the game to begin the third period, but could not get any consistent offense working. MTU Freshman defender Eli Vlaisavljevich snuck the puck past Fallon at just over five minutes in the third. The goal seemed to stop any momentum the Catamounts had built throughout the game. “I thought we were the better team for the first part of the game,” Sneddon said. “But they traveled 3,000 miles and it looked like they had a lot more energy than we did the second half of the game.” UVM’s hopes for an overtime win were quickly put to rest when a hard slapshot by Michigan Tech senior and captain Lars Helminen found the back of the Catamount net. The goal ended the game after just 39 seconds of overtime play. “That’s a tough trip to make,” Sneddon said about Michigan Tech’s travels. “To play as well as they did in the second half of the game is a true testament to their team.” The loss drops Vermont’s record to 2-1-1 on the season, and may hurt their chances of maintaining their ranking of 10th best team in the polls. Michigan Tech’s record now stands at 2-1-0. On Sunday the Catamounts will travel to Dartmouth College, and then to Boston College to face the Eagles on Saturday, Nov. 4. UVM’s next home game is against the University of Ottawa on Sunday, Nov. 5.