Cats Drop Two To Ivy Leagues

Senior Kim Insalaco and sophomore Jessica Link handed out two assists each to lead Brown past Vermont, 4-1, in ECAC women’s hockey action on Friday. The Catamounts took an early 1-0 lead when sophomore Jackie Duerr netted her second goal of the season on a scramble in front of the Brown net. The Bears answered with two goals at 13:41 and 16:09 of the first period to take a 2-1 lead at the first intermission. After a scoreless second period Brown added two more goals in the third at 2:29 and 7:04 to close out the game and pick up its ninth win of the season (9-8-4) and sixth ECAC victory (6-3-1). Senior goaltender Tiffany Hayes was spectacular in the Vermont net, recording 64 saves, tying her own school record for most saves in a game. It was her fifth 60-plus save game in her career. Pam Dreyer made 11 saves in the Brown net to earn the victory. Vermont (3-19-2, 0-9-1) returned to action on Saturday when it faced #1-ranked Harvard. Kat Sweet recorded a hat trick and handed out an assist, while teammates Angela Ruggiero and Mina Pell added three points each to lead #1-ranked Harvard past visiting Vermont, 9-1, in women’s hockey action. Harvard (19-1-0, 9-0-0) would take a 1-0 lead at the first intermission on a goal by Ruggiero at 14:32. The Crimson poured on six goals in the second to pull away from the Catamounts. Vermont was able to break the shutout when freshman Lindsey Tilbury scored at 18:20 of the second period on assists from Jillian Giardina and Missy Tracy. Senior goaltender Tiffany Hayes recorded 60 saves, which followed her record tying 64 save effort in a loss to Brown the night before. Saturday marked her sixth 60-plus save game in her career. Ali Boe finished the game with six saves in the Crimson net. Vermont returns home to face Colgate and Cornell on February 15 and 16. Both games begin at 2:00pm at Gutterson Fieldhouse. -SportsInfo