Cats Earn Playoff Spot and Cieplicki’s 100th Win

With a 75-57 win over America East newcomer Binghamton University, UVM secured two things last week. The victory marked the 100 career-win milestone for Coach Keith Cieplicki, in his fifth season at Vermont. It also gave the Cats a share of its fifth America East regular season title, and third in the last five years. Cieplicki was drenched with a bucket of cold water by his team, following the win. “You know they do that to those football guys, I’ve always wanted it done to me so they gave me a good spray tonight,” he said. In just five years Cieplicki has won 100 games at UVM, second only to 1986-1993 Coach Cathy Inglese, who had 120 victories. “To win 20 games a year, that’s a nice accomplishment, but it’s more for the university and for our community than for me, I’m just thankful to have the opportunity to coach it,” said Cieplicki. After missing UVM’s last game against Maine, junior Morgan Hall had 21 points and grabbed 9 rebounds. “The coaches have helped us come together, we’ve worked hard,” Hall said. Junior co-captain Dawn Cressman reinforced the solidity of the team. “We’re playing such a great team game. You don’t get assists unless people are finishing. We’ve got great momentum right now. We know our roles,” she said. “This team is just very unselfish, and you see it in the way they play,” commented Cieplicki. After losing four of the five games they played in Dec., the recent wins have shown the hard work of players and coaches. “The players have continued to improve, said Cieplicki. “They’ve worked very hard mentally. You can see that in their play. To know where we’ve come from, that’s what makes this time sweet, to know the work and the sweat and the suffering, that’s what makes it worthwhile.” Come see the Cats play at home for the last time this season, head over to Patrick Gym on Thursday Feb 28 at 7:00pm, when they take on the Albany Great Danes.