Cats net three points over the weekend

This weekend, the Catamounts faced back-to-back games against the UMass Minutemen. The Cats were able to come away with a 2-1 win Friday night and a 1-1 tie on Saturday.Friday, Vermont needed to keep momentum going after a huge victory over Northeastern University on Jan. 17. Though the team had offensive support with goals from sophomore Justin Milo and senior assistant captain Corey Carlson, the real reason for the win was freshman goalie Rob Madore. Madore had 25 saves and stopped UMass from coming back in the end despite nine UVM penalties. “We didn’t play well tonight and if it wasn’t for Rob Madore, the outcome would have been different,” Vermont head coach Kevin Sneddon said after the game. “Madore was sensational tonight.” Vermont looked to improve on Saturday night as they wrapped up the weekend series. The game stayed scoreless through the first two periods before Vermont took the lead in the third with a goal from junior Viktor Stalberg. However, UMass answered just minutes later with a goal from freshman Casey Wellman.The game ended in a tie after a five-minute sudden death overtime. Though the result was not what the Cats had hoped for, they came away from the weekend feeling better about the way they had played Saturday.”It was a good hard-fought series,” Sneddon said. “To come away with three points, and two wins and a tie against that program on the season, certainly is good for us.”