Cats’ Seniors End on High Note With Win Over Albany

Patrick Gym filled with faithful fans last week to bid farewell to graduating Seniors Libby Smith and Jen MacAulay. Vermont hosted Albany for their last home game of the season, and in the process won its 11th straight game with a score of 77-55. “Jen approached this last year in such a positive giving way,” said Cieplicki. “We wouldn’t be league champions without her this year,” he added. MacAulay has done whatever it takes to ensure success for the team during her time at UVM. “Hopefully, I’ve set a good example,” she said. “I’ve had some hard times here, but I just kept working hard, kept my head up, and good things came to me.” A native Vermonter, Libby Smith has grown up in front of the fans of the Burlington community. “I have a lot to be thankful for in growing up in this basketball community,” said Smith. “It means a lot when people come and show their support for you and their encouragement. It makes me smile more than anything else.” During her four years at UVM, she has been an integral part of the team that has won two America East regular-season titles, an America East Tournament title and taken a trip to the NCAA tournament. Coach Keith Cieplicki: “She’s really taken responsibility for herself and for her team. “Libby came in with great expectations,” said Cieplicki. “I’m so proud of the way she’s carried herself with such class and dignity.” Smith has started every game of her career at UVM. Her athleticism, leadership and work ethic have allowed for her to become one of the greatest female athletes ever to come out of Vermont. Smith is also co-captain of the men’s golf team. On an emotional last night playing at home, Smith concluded: “I’m thankful for it all, and I want everyone to know how appreciative I am.” The Cats look forward to the upcoming America East Championship, to be held at Hartford University.