Community mourns death of UVM’s Cameron Buchanan

Student Cameron Buchan?an, 19, died in an off-roading accident on Saturday, July 21.Buchanan was a member of the UVM class of 2010, and of the Honeoye Falls-Lima High School class of 2006. According to reports, Bu?chanan was riding in a Jeep with three friends in a Men?don, NY development when the car flipped after driving up a steep dirt mound. Officials believe the students were un?aware that there was nothing on the other side. The accident occurred at 11:33 p.m. Buchanan was flown to Strong Memorial Hospital by Mercy Flight where he was pronounced dead. His friends, two boys and a girl, received only minor inju?ries. This is the second tragic death for the Buchanan fam?ily in recent years. Cameron’s older brother, Brandon, was killed at the age of 24 in New York on September 11, 2001. Brandon, who graduated from UVM in 1999, worked for the Wall Street firm Cantor Fitzgerald in the World Trade Center. “The double tragedy of having now lost two fine young brothers makes this death in the UVM family almost un?bearably poignant,” President Daniel Fogel said. The memorial group on Facebook dedicated to Bu?chanan, “In Loving Memory of Cameron,” has well over 1,000 members. Friends and family have left memories and mes?sages for Buchanan. He enjoyed playing the guitar and skateboarding, and gave great bear hugs, accord?ing to his friend and hall-mate, Tim Moss. “I have never met a person who didn’t get along with him,” Moss said. “As devastated as we are that our great friend has gone to rest, we can’t stop smiling at the good times and memories we had with him.” “We all suffer a grievous loss when we lose a student, and Cameron Buchanan’s death touched us very deeply. Our hearts go out to his fam?ily,” Fogel said. The night after Buchanan’s death over 200 people gath?ered in Honeoye Falls for a candlelight vigil. A memorial was held for Buchanan on Saturday, July 28 at his family’s house in Men?don, and was attended by many from across the country. “We will never forget the happy, funny, silly, hardwork?ing best friend of ours,” Moss said. “We will always love him and our memories will never fade.”