Daniel Fogel Elected As UVM’s 25th President

Daniel Fogel, president-elect of the University of Vermont, made a brief speech on Wednesday and talked with students, faculty and other members of the UVM community. Bruce Lisman, who headed the Presidential Search Committee as chairman, and Edwin Colodny, current interim president, introduced Fogel to the institution. “We are bringing to the campus a dynamic administrative leader,” said Colodny. “He will lead us through the coming years to help us achieve so much of what we want.” Fogel, raised in Ithaca, NY, attended Cornell University and received his B.A. degree magna cum laude in English in 1969, an M.F.A. in creative writing in 1974 and a Ph.D. in English in 1976. Before taking his position at the university, Fogel was the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost for Louisiana State University and also an English professor. “Dan is the right person, I believe, for the right moment in our university,” Lisman said on Wednesday. Fogel will be the 25th President of the University of Vermont and is looking forward to the coming years as an opportunity to advance the institution. “It is a very high responsibility, but this is the greatest thrill of my life,” he said. Fogel will take up office and begin his new commitment to the university in July.