Diversity at the University: Black History Month at UVM

Nearly fifty students, professors, and community members arrived at Billings North Lounge at 4pm this past Thursday to listen to guest speaker William P. Jones.

Jones, an associate professor of history at the University of Wisconsin, scholar-in-residence at the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture and author of The Tribe of Black Ulysses spoke on African American lumber workers in the Jim Crow South.

The title of Prof. Jones’ book is an allusion to the series of books written by Howard W. Odum in the early 20th century. The fictional character “Black Ulysses” is the archetypal black wanderer of the post-reconstruction era.

Odum’s research and publication is part of the Second Harlem Renaissance that in Jones’ words “explored the roots of the “Old Negro”.” The movement included renowned author and anthropologist, Zora Neale Hurston, author of Their Eyes Were Watching God and Mules and Men. Hurston and Odum both agree that African American southerners shaped the industrialization of the South.

In the tradition of Odum and Hurston, Jones’ study explores black culture within the lumber communities and their contribution to the industrialization of the South, specifically pertaining to the communities in Chapman, A.L., Elizabethtown, N.C., and Bogalusa, L.A.

The presentation covered many of the subjects in The Tribe of Black Ulysses, such as the generational shift from farmers to full-time lumber workers, sports and recreation in the lumber company towns, and the use of racial stereotypes in the promotion of American blues legend “Leadbelly.”

William P. Jones’ lecture is part of the universities celebration of Black History Month at UVM. The University of Vermont has been actively responding to the growing diversity on campus since 1973?when The Minority Student Program began and Dolores Sandoval became the first Affirmative Action director.

As many students in the college of Arts and Sciences know, the University of Vermont requires that all students graduating with a B.S. must take at least one Race Relations & Ethnicity in the U.S. course, and students graduating with a B.A. must, in addition, take at least one Non-European Cultures course.

UVM currently has a variety of student organizations and support services to accommodate the growing diversity. Groups such as the ALANA (African, Latino/a, Asian, and Native American) Coalition, the BSU (Black Student Union), LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Transgender, and Queer/Questioning) organizations, and the Women’s Center are active elements of student life.

Activities in celebration of Black History Month will continue through the rest of February.

¥ A presentation by Tim Wise entitled “Beyond Diversity: Challenging Racism in an Age of Backlash” will begin at noon at the Ira Allen Chapel on Thursday the 16th and will be followed by a workshop on racism and activism.

¥ Wednesday the 22nd, there will be an ALANA Voices Panel in the University Heights Multipurpose room at 6:30pm.

¥ Jenni Johnson and Friends will perform “Black History: A Musical Journey” at 7pm in Mann Hall Auditorium on Friday the 24th. The festivities continue at Southwick Hall with the “Black Out Party” from 10pm to 2am, presented as part of the Black Student Union’s “Hot Ebony Nights.”

¥ The BSU is also sponsoring the “Ebony Fest Fashion Show” at Southwick Hall, from 6pm until 9pm on Saturday the 25th as well as the “Soul Food Social Brunch” at L/L Fireplace Lounge from 11am to 2pm on Sunday the 26th.