Double Standards in Today’s Society

With recent debates over affirmative action and abortion, and most recently a possible universal draft, many people have been debating and discussing the double standards that our culture fosters and promotes. It’s ok for some things to count for admittance into an university (legacy status, athletic ability, extracurriculars) but not race and gender. It’s not ok to have an abortion and “kill” a child, but it’s alright to kill many men sitting on death row. It’s alright to want equal rights for women, and many believe that should include on the front lines of the combat zone. Should we as a society accept some double standards as common practice, and not allow others? Isn’t that a double standard in itself? While minorities shouldn’t have overly preferential treatment over white students just because of their race, one has to remember all of the unfair treatment many students receive before they even apply for college. Standardized testing is designed for white males, along with the other setbacks of poor elementary and secondary education. Vocabulary tests involving yachts and math questions involving ski passes in Vail does not apply to the average student. There is discrimination from the get go for these students, why shouldn’t that be taken into consideration? If a student hasn’t the opportunity to study and learn the same way as a white kid in rich suburbia, why should he/she be punished? Why is death ok for some things, and not for others? While many people say that the babies who are killed by abortion didn’t deserve it, while the men/women who sit on death row did. Yet on the other hand, many believe that abortion is a right not to be taken away, yet it’s not ok to take away the life of someone who’s broken a major law. What makes someone’s life more valuable than another’s? With the threat of institution of a draft for not only men but women, many men say that’s it about time. Many feel that with today’s advancement in technology, sheer physical strength is not needed to be a fit soldier. While this is true, many contest that until women are equal in other aspects of society, including pay and job placement, that they shouldn’t be forced to be equal on the front lines. Taking a set stance on any issue takes more than looking and agreeing on one side. Behind every side is a complicated, intertwined mess of contingencies and double standards. Take a look around before making a set decision about a topic. Challenge the double standards on many issues, and don’t stop until you discover the real truth. You might find after awhile that your clear-cut answer isn’t so clear anymore.