Eck Pleads Not Guilty

Eck, a 19-year-old white male CCV student, was under the influence of ecstasy when he entered Harris 4 Low. He is accused of physically assaulting three UVM women before he was tasered and detained by UVM police officers. Colby Eck, the CCV student charged with sexually assaulting three women in the Harris Residence Hall while naked, was arraigned at the Chittenden District last Tuesday. He pleaded not guilty to all charges. At his arraignment, Eck’s charges were simple assault of a police officer, aggravated assault, unlawful restraint in the second degree, and lewd and lascivious conduct. These charges could result in a maximum prison sentence of 27 years and/or a maximum fine of $36,300. Upon posting $25,000 bail from the Chittenden County Correctional Center, Eck was given certain conditions of release by which he must abide before his next court date on Sept. 27. The conditions include a restraining order stating that Eck may not be within 500 feet of the University. Eck may not buy, possess, or use regulated drugs without a valid prescription. If Eck violates any of the conditions of release, he could be sent back to jail before his next court date and could face additional charges. Some students living in the Harris Residence hall expressed concern with the ease that Eck, a naked man, was granted entry into the building. “I don’t really know why someone would let in a naked man,” Harris resident Meghan Greenhaus said. “Maybe we should put up a sign saying, ‘Don’t Let Naked People In.'” Some students however, think the responsibility of student safety goes beyond the students themselves. A number of female students suggested full-time dorm security guards, or checking in with an RA every time a student enters the residence halls. “[Students] have to be extraordinarily careful,” said UVM Provost John Hughes. “All situations will be discussed,” Hughes said when asked if the University is considering further security measures. “It’s always a balancing act. This is certainly a wake-up call,” Tom Gustafson, Provost of student life said when asked about dorm security.”Students want a place that is open and welcoming. This event, however, certainly makes us consider just how open it should be,” Gustafson said.