FACE OFF [Where we agree to disagree about national sports]

ROUND ONE This year’s Thanksgiving Day football featured, once again, the god-awful Detroit Lions and the tiring Dallas Cowboys. Should the NFL do away with the tradition of featuring Detroit and Dallas every year on Turkey Day?[ZACH]No matter how terrible the Lions are every year, watching them struggle through yet another Thanksgiving game is an untouchable yearly tradition. There would be riots in the streets if someone turned on their TV on Thanksgiving afternoon and were forced to watch some sort of mess like the Browns against the Falcons. In the case of the Cowboys, they have returned to dominance as of late, and it is fully expected to see America’s team after feasting each Turkey Day. Sure, it would be nice to see them taking on a better opponent, but no one could have predicted the Seahawks would be this bad at the beginning of the season.[DIANA]Though on years like this it seems very strange to watch the Lions and the Cowboys on Thanksgiving – especially when there are so many better teams out there – it would be a terrible idea to mess with this tradition. If I were a fan of either of these teams, I would want to watch them on Thanksgiving, no matter what their records looked like that year. Giving the rest of the country better football games to watch is not worth the backlash of taking away this tradition from fans.[Alright, you convinced me – it is pretty fun to watch Detroit get shelled every year.]Zach 1, Diana 0ROUND TWO With the NFL season hitting the home stretch, the MVP race is heating up. If the season ended today, who is the front-runner for the coveted award?[ZACH]Call me crazy, but I see Kurt Warner as the best bet to win the MVP award coming out of the NFC. As this NFL season began, most people thought it was finally the year when Matt Leinart would take over the Cardinals offense for good, sending Warner back to his day job of bagging groceries. Instead, the 37-year-old Warner has again proved critics wrong with his 99.4 QB rating, 3,741 yards passing, 24 touchdowns and 68.4 completion percentage, covering up for the Cards’ non-existent running game and almost single-handedly leading them to a surprising 7-5 record. As for the AFC, I will take a flyer and put my money on Joey Porter. Although the linebacker may be a long shot to win the award, his NFL leading 14.5 sacks have given the Dolphins defense the spark they need in order to silence all the critics and go 6-5 thus far on the season.[DIANA]The AFC front-runner has to be Brett Favre. After hearing from so many people that he should have stayed in retirement, the future hall-of-famer has taken the previously 4-12 Jets to a miraculous 8-4 season and into first place in the AFC North. As for the NFC, Drew Brees is in the lead. Though the Saints are only 6-5, Brees is playing beautifully even without the aid of Reggie Bush. With 22 touchdowns and consistent, reliable play, Brees is carrying himself toward the MVP and his team to better places than where they are now.[After his dominating performance against the Packers on Monday Night Football, the MVP is Brees’s to lose.]Zach 1, Diana 1ROUND THREE President-elect Barack Obama has talked openly about sports-related issues just weeks after being elected. What do you think President Obama has a better chance of – creating an eight-team college football playoff or getting the 2016 Olympics in Chicago?[ZACH]Let’s be honest here – as much as every American with a brain wants to see an eight-team playoff system in college football, we have a better chance of hell freezing over or Dick Cheney doing something beneficial for this world. The powers that be love the current BCS system and the money it pays out far too much to change their ways anytime soon. It’s good to hear Obama has an interest in making the necessary changes to the flawed system, but he has a far better chance of landing the 2016 Olympics in Chicago – hell, even China got the Olympics and they have dirtier air than New Jersey and worse humanitarian policies than Bobby Knight.[DIANA]Even though it is possible that neither of these ideas will ever become a reality, Barack Obama has a much better chance of getting a college football playoff. This issue is one that already has a lot of support from fans and professionals and also has been considered before this year. Even more importantly, college football is also something that only concerns the United States. The Olympics will involve talking to other countries and though Barack Obama has already proven himself to be an effective public speaker, that may get a bit complicated.[Olympics in Chicago? Yes we can! College football playoff … eh ….]Zach 2, Diana 1Final Score: Zach wins, 2-1