Fallon signs with Blackhawks, Sneddon honored by AHCA

It was announced by Chicago Blackhawks’ General Manager Dale Tallon last Friday that the team has signed UVM goaltender Joe Fallon. Details of the contract were not yet specified.Fallon was drafted in the sixth – round (167th overall) by the Blackhawks in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.Fallon brings to the improving- Blackhawks a long list of collegiate accolades. Fallon was named ECAC Rookie of the Year his freshman season, and ranks second all-time in the NCAA in shutouts (20) and goals against average (2.05). Fallon finished with a career record of 63-51-17 in his four years with the Catamounts.Fallon will join fellow Catamount Patrick Sharp on a Blackhawks team that came three points from making the Western Conference playoffs this year, a huge improvement from their 13th-place finish in 2006-07 season.Fallon’s departure makes sophomore goaltender Mike Spillane the current starting goalie for the 2008-09 squad.Spillane was 2-2-2 in eight games for UVM this year with a 3.64 goals against average.Also this week, Head Coach Kevin Sneddon was honored by the American Hockey Coaches Association as one of nine finalists for the Spencer Penrose Award, which is given to the NCAA Division 1 Men’s Hockey Coach of the Year.Sneddon led the team to a 17-15-7 overall record en route to a third place finish in the Hockey East and the conference tournament’s championship game. Sneddon was presented with the Bob Kullen Hockey East Coach of the Year Award last month.