Free To Be

To The Editor: As the President of Free To Be, UVM’s Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Alliance (GLBTA), I have been an active member of the LGBT minor committee. In creating a much-needed LGBT minor, I hope to, in part, begin making LGBT issues and concerns more widely known and more commonly discussed across our campus. I believe it is generally assumed that the UVM campus is very safe and inclusive. And, for the most part, this is true. However, students should all be aware that many of us in the LGBT community do not always feel safe. By taking a look at the list of reported bias incidents at www.uvm.edu/~aaeol/incidents2.html, it is clear that LGBT students are the most targeted. Out of the total of 21 reported bias incidents in the past year, 17 were on the basis of sexual orientation. These incidents range from the words “kill queers” on a poster outside of Bailey/Howe to a UVM student who received a phone call in his/her dorm room from an unidentified female who stated “You sound pretty faggy. Do you do guys up the ass?” LGBT issues need to be addressed both within and outside of the classroom. We need an LGBT minor and, eventually, a major. We need this campus to be a safe space for all students and we need allies. Please contact [email protected] for more information on the minor or on building a safe community by being a strong ally.Caitlin Daniel-McCarterClass of 2004