From getting tested to getting coffee: A UVM students’ guide to campus this semester

Anna Morrill, Cynic News Reporter

UVM students are scrambling to adapt to all the new rules and regulations put in place due to COVID-19 this fall semester. 

UVM is striving to provide students with that in-person learning as well as a comfortable living experience, said Annie Stevens, the Vice Provost of Student Affairs in an email sent Aug. 20 to incoming students.

“This is an opportunity for us to show our Catamount pride and demonstrate the power of working together toward a shared goal,” Stevens stated. 

Stevens continued, in the email, and asked students to take on the responsibility of helping keep “in-person instruction alive” at UVM by following the rules clearly laid out in the Green and Gold Promise and on the Return to Campus website. 

Across UVM’s campus, buildings have new hours, limited access and social distancing. 

With emails, links, notices, apps to download, check-ins to take and many other changes, some students may be wondering: what do I need to know about the ins and outs of UVM this semester? 

Here’s what you need to navigate UVM’s campus this semester:

• Testing:
    • All students must take their next test the first week of classes. Students should schedule this seven days after their last test.  
    • Students must download CoVerified, the app to schedule COVID-19 tests, receive results, and complete required daily health screenings.
  • Study Spaces:
    • They will be first come, first serve in the Davis Center, Howe library, and large tents on three different parts of campus.
    • If all study spaces are full, a student should study in their room or in a common area of their residence hall with a mask on and remain at a six foot distance from hall mates.
    • Howe Library will be open to everyone, but with modified hours from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. It will also be open for curbside pickup from Monday- 8a.m.-10a.m.
    • Dana Medical Library is open only to medical and allied health students. 
    • Spaces that will be closed include: group study rooms, physical reserves, the popular reading collections, the Map Room, and the featured new books browsing area.
  • Housing:
    • Residents must wear face masks at all times when outside of their rooms.
    • No guests will be allowed in the dorms.
    • Gatherings in private homes are capped at 25 people outdoors and 10 people indoors.
    • Hosts and guests in private homes will also be required to wear masks and keep 6 feet of distance from each other.
  • Dining:
    • Closed dining locations include: Cyber Cafe, Brennan’s and Waterman Manor.
    • Dining locations that require mobile food ordering: Green Roof Deli, New World Tortilla, Campus Perk and the entree station at The Marketplace.
    • Reusable containers are not allowed in the traditional dining halls or retail dining spaces.
  • Miscellaneous: 
    • All students are required to complete the brief Student Health and Safety Training, then sign the Green and Gold Promise to activate their CATcard.
    • Reservations on IMLeagues are required for everything at Patrick Gym, and the following facilities/services will be unavailable: climbing walls, indoor tennis courts, locker rooms, towel service, equipment rentals, personal training, yoga mats, guest passes, memberships and family hours.
    • Shuttle buses will be limited-only late night off campus buses and weekend buses will be running.
    • Recommended apps to download: BITE for mobile food ordering, dining hall space reservations, and meals to-go, and LIVE SAFE for campus safety and alerts.