From Plato’s Closet to Yours

Racks upon racks of clothing have taken over Plato’s closet in Tafts Corners, Williston: a store that is the silver lining in tough economic times.Plato’s buys and sells used clothing for a great price. While one may be thinking, “Ew, it’s used,” their selection process is rigorous, and for the prices, it’s not worth being picky! I spoke with employee Carrie Pinard, who filled me in on all the details you need to get the biggest bang for your buck.If you are choosing to sell clothing, Pinard said they take all season clothing year-round, but they are more selective for out of season clothing. Some of the brands they take are American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, Forever 21, Express, Hollister, Burton and many, many more. They also buy anything from jewelry, to books, frames to movies. Anything you have that you want to get rid of, bring it over.Right now, though, they are looking mostly for jackets, hats and gloves for the upcoming winter season. Although they can be picky, it’s a great place to try to get some extra cash for your pocket, and a little money is better than none. Not to mention some free space in your closet!If you’re going to shop, you’re in luck. Plan on spending a good chunk of time looking through the racks, but be prepared for the amazing deals. Right now, the average cost of jeans is anywhere from $8 to $14, mostly for brands like Old Navy, according to Pinard. For the more expensive jeans, such as Express and Abercrombie and Fitch, it could be around $15 to $20, which is still a great deal considering they cost about $50 to $60 at retail price. They do carry designer jeans which average about $80 to $90.Other items such as boots cost, on average, $20. Shoes all vary but their selection is huge – ranging from Nine West heels, to Burton sneakers. Most shirt prices depend upon brand and style, though they are still ridiculously cheap. They have a plethora of nice jewelry and a very large selection of bags, including everything from an Old Navy clutch to a Kate Spade satchel.Pinard said there has been an increase in both buying and selling, due to the declining economy. All of our wallets are feeling the weight (or lack thereof) of these economic troubles, and any possibility of a good deal is worth checking out. From October 23rd through 26th, the entire store will be 30 percent off, and clearance items, 80 percent off. Go take a look–you’ll be pleasantly surprised.