Geography professor Elder dies unexpectedly

Associate professor Dr. Glen Elder died unexpectedly Thursday, a University of Vermont press release stated.

According to the press release, Elder was in the process of preparing to apply to the position of full professor this fall, in addition to stepping into the role of associate dean in the College of Arts and Sciences, which was to be effective July 1.

Elder first came to UVM as a visiting assistant professor in 1995 before being appointed to the faculty in 1998, the press release stated. He served as the chair of the Department of Geography from 2005 through 2008 when, in July, Elder was named interim associate dean for the College of Arts and Sciences.

According to the press release, Elder’s teaching included political and urban geography, women and gender studies and African studies, with his most recent research included post-9/11 border policies between Vermont and Quebec and the geography of HIV/AIDS in southern Africa.

Elder received the Krepsch Maurice Teach Award in 2003, acted as co-chair of the President’s Commission on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered Equity and as faculty representative to the Board of Trustees Committee on Socially Responsible investment and served as a member of the United Academics bargaining team, the press release stated.

Along with his academic interests, Elder served as Board Chair of Vermont Cares and was a member of the Samara Foundation of Vermont, according to the press release.

The UVM community currently waits on information about a campus-wide memorial service from the administration, announced at the end of the University press release.