Green for Gold

From April 12th through April 18th, all students are invited to exchange their money in for gold Sacagawea coins. Just in case you forgot, the Sacagawea coins were introduced a couple years back and they are valid, useable U.S. currency, equal in amount to a dollar. All this week students can exchange their money at various places around campus, including Cashier’s Office, Chittenden/Buckham/Wills front desk, Cook Commons, The Marche, The Round Room, Simpson Store, UVM Book Store and the SGA office in the basement of Billings. “This is the best way to make our voice heard,” said UVM junior and member of the Student Government, Josh Dwyer, as he enthusiastically spreads word of this week’s Green for Gold campaign, led by the SGA. From April 12th through April 18th, all students are invited to exchange their money in for gold Sacagawea coins. Just in case you forgot, the Sacagawea coins were introduced a couple years back and they are valid, useable U.S. currency, equal in amount to a dollar. All this week students can exchange their money at various places around campus, including Cook Commons, Chitten/Buckham/Willis Front Desk, Simpson Store, the Marche, the UVM Bookstore, and the SGA office in the basement of Billings. If students use these coins in stores and restaurants downtown, the SGA hopes that local businesses, as well as certain City Council members, will see just how vital UVM students are to the local economy. “Through their realization of the large student population in Burlington, who spend their money readily, we hope the Burlington City Council will properly represent students and their interests…” said SGA members say of the campaignStudents’ interests are not being adequately represented in Burlington? Definitely not, many say, citing recent strictly enforced noise ordinances put in place by City Council members. The Student Governmaetn Association Committee on Legislative Action (COLA) has tried to work with Burlington politicians like Ian Carleton (D) to reduce the severity of noise violations fines (some reaching as higher than $1500) but their efforts have not been as successful as some had anticipated. COLA members now hope that the Green for Gold campaign will force local policy-makers to realize that UVM students are essential, helpful Burlington community members who should be represented fairly in government. “UVM students are an asset to the local economy and they should be treated with respect by the City Council,” says one student “This is a nice way to make our point- we could completely boycott downtown. But we do not find fault at all with local businesses; we need them as much as they need us. Instead, through Green for Gold, we aim to speak directly to the City Council.” said Josh Dwyer. So get out there- spend lots of money and show City Council that you count! Sacagawea coins are completely legitimate U.S. currency. Spend them at nearly any business in Burlington: dollar drafts at “What Ales You” or “The Biltmore Grill”, a Starbucks caf?? latte, Country Kart, Muddy Waters, Ecco- They’ll even cover your noise violation fine.