Hard work finally pays off for Lady Cats in Hockey East

A team that head coach Tim Bothwell described as “snake-bitten,” after a tough loss Jan. 25, finally earned some positive recognition last week. After ending their 18-game winless streak against the Providence Friars, Hockey East took note of the women’s hockey team’s triumph.Sophomore goalie Kristen Olychuck was named Hockey East Player of the Week. Olychuck was honored on the heels of a stellar weekend against Providence in which she saved 56 of 60 shots over the two-game stretch. Olychuck has been the backbone of a young defense that is still finding their way. Though her stats place her mid-pack in the Hockey East goaltending leaders, her play has progressed consistently.Olychuck was not the only player last week to receive an honor. Freshman Teddy Fortin, who recorded three points in the Providence series to give her a team-high 11 points on the season, was recognized as one of four student-athletes of the week by UVM.Fortin and fellow freshman Celeste Doucet were also placed on the Hockey East Weekly Honor Roll. The two played key roles in the win over Providence, Fortin assisting Doucet’s game-winning goal in the final period.All the good news is a welcoming shift for the Catamounts, who, despite the long losing streak, were described by both Bothwell and Olychuck as “remaining positive” through the tough stretch. The Cats (5-19-1, 1-10-1 Hockey East) tried to ride their newfound momentum to Boston College last weekend, but the Eagles (8-9-6, 4-6-2 Hockey East) topped Vermont in both games by a combined score of 8-0. The Catamounts are now 0-3 against the Eagles this season.