Here’s What You Missed…

A lot has gone down with UVM Athletics over the past month while the student body has been home, working, skiing, traveling, etc. Our student athletes have been hard at work and probably haven’t gotten as much of a vacation as they might have hoped. So, in case you haven’t kept up with the sports news, here’s a little recap of what has been going on with each team. The Vermont Mens Basketball team, ranked second in the league behind Boston University, improved to 4-1 in the league, their only loss coming last Saturday to Boston University on the Terriers home court. The loss to BU snapped a five game win streak by the Cats, who are 10-7 overall this season, even with the loss of junior standout guard T.J. Sorrentine, who announced his decision to redshirt for the ’02-’03 season after suffering fractures in both wrists during a preseason intra-squad scrimmage. Sophomore standout Taylor Coppenrath leads America East in scoring with an average of 21.2 points per game, most recently tallying 27 points for the Cats last Wednesday to help lead the team to a 63-53 win over Albany. Senior Grant Anderson has been invaluable for the Cats this season, and in early January he posted his first triple-double, netting 11 points, 13 boards and 10 assists, a feat not achieved at UVM since Kevin Roberson did so in 1992. That game gave UVM a school-record home win streak of 15, the twelfth best in the Nation. The Vermont Women’s Basketball team, went 4-2 overall and 2-1 in league play over winter break and are now 10-3 overall and ranked third in the league behind Boston University and Maine. Vermont’s one league loss came at Northeastern on January eighth by a mere six points. The Cats beat number one BU last Sunday however, and in that game senior Morgan Hall scored a career-high 38 points to become UVM’s first female to score 30 points in back to back games, having scored 33 points against Northeastern four days prior. Last week, senior Dawn Cressman netted her 1,000th point in a win at home over Albany and also got her second double-double of the season with 17 points and 12 boards. Cressman also became a member of Vermont’s 1,000 point/500 rebound club having grabbed her 500th rebound in November against Yale. The Vermont Men’s Hockey team seems to be turning things around recently, winning two of their last three games, including a 6-4 win over Dartmouth, who had beaten Vermont only two weeks earlier on the Cats home ice. The Cats rallied from a three-goal deficit and scored five unanswered goals in 4:50 from the end of the second period through the beginning of the third. The men will be looking for a couple of wins this weekend when they take on Rensselaer and Union, ranked eleventh and sixth respectively. The Vermont Women’s Hockey team is tied for eighth in the league with Cornell, and have yet to post an ECAC-North win this season but have just come off of a 2-1 win over North Dakota after losing to the same team 8-2 the night before. They are now 0-5-1 in the league and 3-14-1 overall. The Cats star goaltender Tiffany Hayes was invited to the Women’s National Team Training Camp in Lake Placid, NY and is one of only six goaltenders to receive this honor. The women will have two non-league games against Wayne State at home this weekend on Friday and Saturday at 2pm both days. The Women’s Swimming and Diving team posted its’ second win of the season over break against Central Connecticut but also lost one to Holy Cross in the same meet. The Men also lost to Holy Cross and fell to 1-7, while the women fell to 2-7. The teams then took on Stony Brook on Saturday, Jan. 19th and the women competed against Siena College on Sunday. The Women’s Indoor Track team finished sixth out of 29 and Junior Captain Kristal Kostiew broke a UVM 20 pound weight record, throwing 59 1-1/2 ft. and getting third place in that event at the meet. She was later named the UVM student-athlete of the week ending Jan. 12th. In skiing news, the Vermont Alpine team has been ranked fourth in the nation and first in the east. The team is led by a slew of Vermonters who will all bring pride to the school and state. The first EISA race of the season is the St. Lawrence Ski Carnival, at which Vermont should fare well. So, you are all urged to attend as many games as possible this semester, and show support for your UVM student-athletes. Schedules are available in the Patrick Gymnasium as well as online.