How to Sound More Worldly

? Hugo Chavez granted rule by decreeJan. 31 – Venezuela’s leg-islature granted Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez the power to rule by decree for 18 months. Critics point to this as moving Venezuela closer to authoritarianism.? Truck Bomb Kills Dozens in BaghdadFeb. 3 – At least 92 people died in what is considered one of the worst single acts of violence in Baghdad since the U.S. invasion. ? Intelligence report predicts more violence for IraqFeb. 2 – A report by Amer-ica’s intelligence agencies predicts sectarian strife will continue to cause violence in Iraq with no end in sight unless bold actions are tak-en by Iraqi politicians.? Boston bomb scare turns out to be adsJan. 31 – Boston’s recent bomb scare, which led to the closing of interstate highways, subway stations and bridges turned out to be caused by ads that were part of a Turner Broadcast-ing marketing campaign for the TV show “Aqua Teen Hunger Force.”? Texas requires cancer shots for 6th gradersFeb. 2 – Texas is the first to require the shots in the U.S. The shots protect against a sexually transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer. All 11 and 12 year old girls entering 6th grade will be required to receive the shot.? Bird flu confirmed in BritainFeb. 3 – A deadly strain of bird flu has been discovered among turkeys at a poultry farm in eastern Britain