Just to be clear…

Ok UVM, now that I have your attention, it’s time to listen up.Last week I did a fairly decent job of riling up one side of a debate. Now, it’s time to rile up the other side. A side switcher you say? Call me what you like, however I don’t believe in sides, because there is only one side, the side of freedom, truth and equality.Last week I spoke to you, activists, because your causes were not being taken seriously. You can see this rampant all over campus. Students are lethargic; administrators don’t care, because, perhaps, they’ve seen all these protests before. I’ve lived in Vermont my whole life, have always followed UVM’s student-led protests and have even attended them.Yet, this year is the first year in my recent recollection that little to no true news coverage of any protests have been published. And when they are published, the students and the demonstration are in the foreground, while the true causes remain murky in the shadows. The time for change is now.So this week I call out to you, lethargic student, who may agree or disagree with my every word.It’s time to take these people seriously. It’s time to stop bashing them, and it’s time to listen.The things they do, no matter how futile they may seem, are good causes that we all should be excited for but aren’t. Why? I believe it is because of the rampant prejudice and bias around campus. I sit in classes every day where I can almost always hear at least one negative remark about these activists, to be followed up, sometimes, by more slander towards them. The words I published last week, dear friends, are not the product of my own thoughts, but rather the reiteration of words I hear everyday.I sit now, amidst students, as I type this at one of our public computers on campus, hearing them talk about how disgusted they feel walking by Tent City every day.Many probably believe in every word, and every argument, that is being made there, but aren’t listening.Like I said, no matter how you may feel or what you may believe, people will always judge you based on how you look and present yourself. You need to appeal to every walk of life, every style, every brand, everybody if you want your message to get stronger. Not just to those who already agree with you.The purpose of protest is to get those who aren’t listening to tune in, but it’s also time for everyone who isn’t listening to open their ears and minds.Propose formal debates invite them to talk with you, draw up concise plans for reform and present not only yourself, but your rhetoric, in a way that will be taken seriously, rather than using repetitive arguments and protests. I’m behind you, and I take you seriously. Many do. Many do not.It’s time to rally the troops, kids. It’s time to be heard. And it’s time for you to be taken seriously.