Kweli, Dr. Dog to perform at SA Concert’s Springfest

Talib Kweli is set to headline UVM’s Springfest on Saturday, April 19. Also scheduled to perform is funk keyboardist Bernie Worrell along with Leo Nocentelli and the psychedelic rock group Dr. Dog. Brady Lee, president of SA Concerts, the campus group responsible for the organization of Springfest, said, “We have put together a very eclectic lineup that we feel will appeal to a lot of different people.” Eclectic is the adjective of choice to describe this year’s selection: Talib Kweli is a hip-hop artist who since the late-90s has had great critical success with three solo albums as well as numerous collaborations. His latest solo effort, Eardrum, reached number two on the charts last year. “I’m excited they got a big artist,” freshman Justin Leveille said. “I don’t know who they’ve had the past few years, but I can’t imagine it getting much better than Talib Kweli.” Funk musicians Bernie Worrell, of Parliament-Funkadelic, and Leo Nocentelli, former guitarist for The Meters, will join Kweli at Springfest.Dr. Dog will also be appearing, a group whose psychedelic music is said to channel the sounds of late 1960’s rock. The concert will feature the winner of the University Program Board’s Battle of the Bands as the opening act. Besides the music, there are plans for a BBQ as well as a beer tent. SA Concerts is still in the process of planning other events that will take place throughout the day. Weather permitting, Springfest is scheduled to be held on the Chittenden/Buckham/Wills Green. In case of bad weather, indoor locations are being explored – last year’s Springfest was held in Patrick Gym.Admission to Springfest is $10 for UVM students, $20 for surrounding-area college students and $30 for the general public. Tickets are already on sale at the UVM Athletics Office, Pure Pop and online at www.uvmtickets.com.