Lady Cats lose season opener

The women’s basketball team lost their opening game of the season at Patrick Gymnasium Friday night to the University of Massachusetts 60-48.UMass’s Kate Mills and Pam Rosanio each scored 19 points to lead the Minutewomen, and Mills pulled down a game high 13 rebounds.”She’s a terrific player.” Vermont head coach Sharon Dawley said.In the first half the Catamounts jumped out to an early lead, but midway through the half Vermont’s shooting failed them. UVM shot only 21 percent from the field in the first half and 26 percent for the game.UMass took advantage of the cold spell and go on a 13-2 run to grab the lead at 20-14 with three minutes left in the half.”We had a rough shooting night all around,” Dawley said. “You can’t shoot 26 percent from the field.”UMass also capitalized on 33 foul shot opportunities, sinking 24 of them. They also out rebounded Vermont 45 to 36.The Catamounts streaky shooting continued in the the second half. UMass carried the momentum out of the locker room and took a 41-31 lead with ten minutes to play.The Minutewomen then rode an 11-4 run to secure a comfortable 52-35 lead with five minutes to play.Vermont never gave in during the contest, finishing on a 12-6 run.”We played good defense in spurts, forced 25 turnovers in the game, and played with good intensity throughout.” Dawley said.Cats freshman Courtnay Pilypaitis lead Vermont with 11 points and seven rebounds.”Courtnay had a good game; she got off some good shots. Not all of them fell, but that will come with time.” Dawley added.”It was a great feeling to play in my first game,” Pilypaitis commented. “We did some good things, and there are things we need to improve on for [the] next game.”Also stepping up in her debut was freshman guard May Kotsopoulos, who scored 10 points along with playing stifling defense up top for Vermont.”May played terrific,” Dawley said. “She is a great defended and she showed it tonight.” Freshman Andrea Cihal provided a good post presence with her solid defense and seven points.Dawley was pleased with the contributions of her freshman and commented that once the shots start to fall the team will be fine.Vermont is now 0-1 on the season while UMass stands at 1-0. The Catamounts are home for their next game on Friday as they host the TD Banknorth classic in which Vermont takes on Holy Cross at 8 p.m. The game will be preceded by East Carolina vs. Harvard at 6 p.m.