Lady Cats shut out UMBC

Despite the steady rainfall that continued throughout the first half, the women’s soccer team looked anything but sloppy in their first America East victory of the season last Thursday.Senior Lexie Kaknes scored two goals and an assist, while sophomore Jessica Becker, senior Erin Pichiotino and freshman Kristin Davenport all scored one goal each. Goalkeeper Eliza Bradley had five saves and led the team to their first shutout of the season. “We have to stay hungry and not let up,” head coach Kwame Lloyd said. “That’s what we were able to do in this game.. Becker started off the scoring with a header from a cross-field assist from Kaknes. Pichiotino followed up with an unassisted goal on a shot that bent just inside the upper left corner of the net to put the Cats up 2-0. Kaknes scored again minutes later to give the Cats three goals in a seven-minute span. As the game went on and the UMBC deficit increased, several substitutions were made, giving more players a chance to record playing time. Among the non-starters was freshman Kristin Davenport who, with an assist from sophomore Emily Milbank, scored the first goal of her career to put the team up by five. Vermont out-shot UMBC 10-8 in the game with Bradley getting five saves. UMBC goalie Christine Backinski had one save in the game. “Our players are starting to understand the system in?stead of learning it,” Lloyd said. “We’ve worked so hard. We’re ready to move forward.” The Cats head into the final week of the regular season and will host their final home game on Oct. 26 against Binghamton.