LGBTQA Center receives $18,304 grant

The LGBTQA CyberCenter has received an $18,304 facelift. 

The computer lab received eight new computers, a scanner, a printer and licenses for Adobe Photoshop and Pagemaker, according to a University press release. 

The center received an initial grant from the David Bohnett Foundation in 2006 for $28,584. This second grant is part of the process, said Paul Moore, foundation program officer.

“We revisit the CyberCenter every three to five years,” Moore said. “We thought the UVM LGBTQA Center was great.”

Director of LGBTQA services Dorothea Brauer said this grant renewal is helping to keep the center connected with students.

“The CyberCenter is by far our most popular facility,” Brauer said. 

Nelson Sears, the LGBTQA Office Manager, said the new equipment will benefit all students on campus.

“It brings up the last letter of our acronym, the ‘A.’ We’re advocates, so (the CyberCenter) is open to all students,” Sears said.

The old computers from the initial grant will be “repurposed for use by UVM’s ALANA Center, UVM Hillel and the Women’s Center,” the press release stated.

This grant is a one-time refresh grant, so the future of the CyberCenter’s funding is not known, Sears said.

“We will see what the future brings,” he said.

The David Bohnett Foundation, whose mission is “improving society through social activism,” has given more than $42 million in various grants in the past 12 years.